Monday, February 6, 2017

A Tourists Guide to Paris (in 2 days)

A very exciting weekend! My best friend from Skidmore was coming to Paris with her friends from Florence, Italy and I couldn't be happier. Friday morning a few Paris friends planned to meet up before the Italy girls got in. We (finally) made it to Du Pain et Des Idées and let me tell you, it was worth the wait.

love at first sight!

My pastry was an escargot but not the kind you are thinking of in Paris. It was a pastry with pistachio and some chocolate and I think I honestly could eat one every day without getting tired of it. We were in Du Pain et Des Idées when IES alerted us of the Louvre attack.

everyone has escar-got to try one in Paris!

We popped into a Kilo Shop (where you pay for the weight of your clothing) and I learned that I had goofed and the Italy gals weren't getting to Paris until Saturday ... so the rest of the afternoon opened up and we had a nice dinner at Tuk Tuk Thai which was delish.

don't Thai to take this delish meal away from me!

I said Nut-hell ya to this egg rolls!

We went out without our fearless leader (our Paud pal had been in Paris last semester too so she always takes us to the best spots) and attempted to hit up a few bars.

Saturday came and it was (finally!) the day that all the pals came! I got the text that they got to their hotel around noon and then we were off! I think that has been my favorite Paris moment by far - seeing my batch walk through the Metro gates! We went to the Tour Eiffel first and lots of pictures were taken. It was a little misty but the umbrellas came out for the perfect Parisian picture. The Italy girls are all art major or minors so the pictures had to be perfection.

I don't think I will ever get tired of seeing this

We walked around and then attempted to find a café that wasn't severely overpriced. I ended up ordering for everyone (there was a lot of French spoken this weekend and even more translating!) and we all got Croque Monsieurs/Madames.

Croque Monsieur? Yes sir!

Then it was a quick hop over to the Arc de Triomphe which was also really cool to see for the first time.


Back to the Eiffel Tower for more pictures, when the rain really came down! In true French fashion, it did not disappoint. We decided to walk and try to find a cafe to have a drink and warm up in, but ended up just getting macaroons!

Pistachio Macaroon!

The rain let up, so it was back to the tower to try to find a crêpe - and thank goodness we did because the sun came out and it was beautiful!!


Dinner was fondue again and then showed the Italy girls how we party in France by drinking by Notre Dame and the Seine.


Sunday we woke up very early to tackle the Louvre - another first for me. We only waited in line for a half hour and the museum was free because it was the first Sunday of the month. It is no understatement that the Louvre is massive.

Smile!


We popped into another café for lunch and then went to Angelinas which is a famous tea salon in Paris for their famous chocolat chaud (hot chocolate). It was rich and thick and creamy and perfect to warm up after the drizzly morning. We walked around the Tuileries Gardens for a little and then it was back to the hotel to say goodbye to my pals :(

Hot chocolate as thick as brownie batter - Oui, s'il vous plaît!

Went to my first yoga class tonight (ooh la la - I'm not going to be able to walk tomorrow) and had some falafel for dinner. Missing America and Skid a little bit extra this weekend because of Chowderfest and the 100 Days dance and the Superbowl.

I was fala-full after this meal ... 

Bises,
L

FWOTD - la pluie (n) - rain. La pluie était forte et froide quand nous avons vu la Tour Eiffel. The rain was strong and cold when we saw the Eiffel Tower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment